A medical scooter, also called electric riding scooters, power scooter, motorized scooter for adults, senior scooter, mobility scooter, adult electric riding scooter, old people scooter, elderly disability scooter, motorized scooter for adults, riding carts or handicap scooters, are high quality mobility apparatus that helps those with low mobility, disability, or elderly gain independence so they can get around easier. Below is a review of what to look at when buying a mobility scooter, information about health insurance, cost, and a review of our picks including 3 wheel and 4 wheel electric scooters, indoor and outdoor, heavy duty, light weight portable and folding electric scooters.
Let’s take a look at our favorite picks below! At the very end, we compare the 3 wheel handicap scooters and the 4 wheel handicap scooters.
Medical scooters are electric riding scooters, in other words a motorized scooter for adults with a seat. Handicap scooters can be used by any adult, including seniors, who is having difficulty walking.
There are various types of power scooters for adults and different brands that make them.
What Should I Think About When Buying an Electric Scooter?
There are many types of electric mobility scooters for adults available. The best mobility scooter for you will depend on how and where you plan on using the handicap scooter, your specific needs for a mobility scooter, and how much you want to spend.
For example, these are some types of mobility scooters:
Portable Mobility Scooters
Some portable mobility scooters break down for transportation so they make good as a travel mobility scooter. Usually the portable scooters weigh less than other motorized scooters. Usually, portable scooters are not as good on rough terrain, and typically the speed in portable scooters in not as fast, usually not faster than 5 miles an hour.
3 Wheel Mobility Scooters
A 3 wheel mobility scooter offers a little more maneuverability than a 4 wheel mobility scooter, and a 3 wheel mobility scooter usually can fit through tighter spaces. The footrest area is generally more narrow in a 3 wheel mobility scooter, which can make it difficult for taller adults.
4 Wheel Mobility Scooters
A four wheel scooter provides more stability compared to the 3 wheel mobility scooter designs. The 4 wheel mobility scooter usually has a wider footrest area, making the 4 wheel electric scooter generally more comfortable of a ride, especially for taller adults.
A Full Size Mobility Scooter
A full size mobility scooter is the most commonly used medical scooter and usually has a maximum weight capacity of around 400 pounds. Maximum speed in a full size mobility scooter range generally from 4 to 12 miles per hour.
Travel distance of mobility scooters depend on their battery and can vary, so when deciding on the best mobility scooter for you battery life is something to consider.
A Folding Mobility Scooter or Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooter for Adults
A folding mobility scooter, also called a lightweight foldable electric mobility scooter, is designed for portability, where the battery pack can be removed, and the medical scooter can be collapsed to transport.
A folding scooter is usually better as an indoor scooter because generally doesn’t do as well on rough terrain, and the maximum speed of a lightweight electric foldable mobility scooter is usually more limited.
A Heavy Duty Mobility Scooters for Adults
A heavy duty mobility scooter usually has the highest weight capacity, some up to 500 pounds. The wheels on a heavy duty mobility scooter are generally bigger, and they typically perform well on all surfaces.
Who Needs an Electric Mobility Scooter?
A mobility scooter is a great assistive technology. It helps people get around who normally would struggler.
A mobility scooter is helpful for those who:
- Want to maintain independence.
- Have difficulty walking, or walking a distance is challenging.
- The use of crutches, a cane, or a walker is not ideal for their situation or for longer distance, and a scooter is more helpful.
- Those with medical conditions such as joint pain, arthritis, injured leg or foot, other injuries or health conditions impact their ability to walk or walk a significant distance.
- An indoor scooter or outdoor scooter will enable those with a disability or the elderly to have a better quality of life.
Safety Features – Electric Scooter for Adults
Some safety features to consider include:
- All-surface tires, so you have good tread tires and do not lose traction, for example, on a wet floor or sidewalk.
- Emergency brake, some scooters offer an emergency hand-operated brake that enables you to stop immediately.
- Four-wheel designs are usually sturdier and less likely to tip over compared to their three-wheel counterparts. This may be something to consider, especially for the elderly. However, the four-wheel design is usually not as portable.
- Headlights are essential for those who will use the scooter in dim lighting or at night, and reflectors should be considered so other people can see you.
- A rearview mirror will enable you to see the area behind you before backing up, which can be very helpful to those that have difficulty twisting their neck to see.
- A speed limiter can limit how fast the scooter can go. This will keep the driver from going too fast; for example, fast speeds not appropriate for the environment or speeds too fast the operator cannot handle.
- Battery life – be sure to know what the battery life is and how long it travels before you need to recharge!
Electric Handicap Scooter Cost
There is a significant price range for electric handicap mobility scooters, depending on the type and brand you purchase. Prices can range, but generally from $700 to $3500 +, depending on whether you get a lighter weight travel scooter or a 4 wheel heavy-duty model.
Does Health Insurance Pay for an Electric Scooter for Adults?
Check to see if your health insurance, including Medicare, covers an handicap scooter. If they do, there may be limits on the type of mobility scooter you can get and the amount that would be covered.
In addition, there may be requirements for example medical necessity, paperwork submission and specific places where you must purchase the medical scooter.
Medicare part B may cover your power-operated scooter as durable medical equipment, although they usually pay only up to 80%.
The doctor treating your medical condition likely must submit a written order stating you have a medical need for a scooter, and certain conditions must be met.
Please note that the durable medical equipment (DME) supplier, where you purchase the scooter from, must be enrolled in Medicare; otherwise, Medicare won’t pay. In addition, prior authorization may be required, meaning Medicare may have to review the information and approve your eligibility before you can purchase the scooter.
Again, it is always best to check with your heath insurance company to make sure you understand eligibility, coverage, and requirements.
Best Electric Scooter for Adults
Electric mobility scooters may improve your lifestyle by giving you more independence and the ability to move around more easily.
Below is a review of our top picks of mobility scooters.
We divided them into 2 categories, 1) 3 wheel mobility scooter, and 2) 4 wheel mobility scooters.
Best 3 Wheel Mobility Scooters
Mobility scooters price starting at $729
- Three wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 275 lbs.
- Maximum Speed:4 MPH
- Battery: two 12 v. batteries, and charging cord.
- Distance: 6.3 miles per charge
- Seat Width: 17″
This Travel Pro Premium 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter by Pride can easily maneuver around doorframes and hallways and is compact enough to use during travel.
This Pride mobility scooter has a top speed of 4mph and a 6.3 mile drive range, forward/reverse controls, flat free tires, and a weight capacity of 275 lbs.
The Pride mobility scooter features a fully-padded faux-leather seat that is height adjustable, padded armrests that flip up for convenient exiting and boarding and a front basket for personal items.
It can quickly disassemble into 5 lightweight pieces, that fit in the trunk of the average sized sedan. The heaviest piece is 27.5 lbs, to make it easy for travel.
Click here for more information on the Travel Pro Premium 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter by Pride
Vive 3-Wheel Folding Mobility Scooter – Electric Powered Mobile Wheelchair Device for Adults – Folding, Collapsible, Foldable and Compact for Travel – Long Range Power Extended Battery with Charger and Basket Included
Mobility scooters price starting at $799
- 3 wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 265 pounds
- Maximum Speed: 3.7 mph
- Battery: up to 12.4 miles per charge
- Seat Width: 16.9 inches
- Lightweight electric scooter – the foldable scooter weighs 77 lbs
This 3 wheel electric folding mobility scooter is a great indoor scooter. The Vive lightweight electric scooter easily maneuvers over smooth surfaces such as carpet, concrete, tile, and outdoor pavement. This foldable scooter for adults has a tight turning radius to navigate through doorways and hallways more easily.
This folding mobility scooter is easy to transport because you can quickly disassemble the lightweight electric scooter into four separate pieces. This lightweight electric scooter weights 77 lbs. The rear piece is the heaviest section of the four pieces and only weighs 29 pounds.
The Vive lightweight electric scooter can easily maneuver over any smooth surface. Vive folding mobility scooter has a lightly padded seat that is 16.9 inches and has a backrest. You can rotate the seat and adjust the height of the seat for a customizable fit.
This foldable scooter for adults also has two padded armrests that adjust and flip upward for convenience when boarding or exiting. The control panel allows one to set a maximum speed, change from a forward to a reverse direction, turn on the headlight, and produce a warning tone.
The display also has a color-coded battery life indicator to check the status of the battery quickly. Designed to support up to 265 pounds safely, the lightweight electric scooter features flat-free, non-marking tires with a tight turning radius, a maximum speed of 3.7mph, and a driving distance up to 12.4 miles per charge.
Click here for more information on the Vive 3-Wheel Folding Mobility Scooter – Long Range Power Extended Battery with Charger and Basket Included
Mobility scooters price starting at $1499.99
- Three wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Maximum Speed: high speed – up to 15 mph
- Battery: (1) 48v 12 AH SLA Sealed, 48volt Smart Charger Included
- Distance: long range – up to 21 miles per charge
- Seat Width: 16“ x 13.5“ x 3.25 (depth)
- Lightweight electric scooter – weight is 83lbs.
This value-packed EW-20 electric handicap scooters are great long-range, high-speed motorized scooters for adults. It can reach speeds of up to 15 mph and go up to 21 miles on a single charge.
These handicap scooters have a comfortable large swivel seat, designer style blue/black or red/black color and have a stylish LED front light.
These EW-20 handicap riding scooters are fitted with an extra large covered storage basket, has a cell phone holder, and a USB port along with 3 different speed settings that add to the performance and safety of the medical scooter.
For easy transport, this is a lightweight electric scooter and there is a folding tiller and a removable seat. These handicap scooters are shipped FULLY ASSEMBLED and RIDE READY.
Click here for more information on the EW-20 Long Range High Speed 3 Wheel Scooter
Mobility scooters price starting at $2599
- 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 pounds
- Maximum Speed: Up to 18 mph
- Battery: (4) 12 volt Sealed Lead Acid Maintenance Free, 48-volt smart charger included
- Distance: Long – up to 40 mile range on 1 single charge
- Seat: 23″x 13″x 11″ (LxWxH)
- Extended Saddle Seat with 2 rider capacity
This Euro Style 2 color electric riding scooter has a maximum speed of 18 mph and 40 mile range on 1 single charge.
The fit and finish on this plus size mobility scooter is superb, as is the high quality performance. These trendy mobility scooters have a removable rear storage compartment and both a large front basket and storage beneath the seat.
These heavy duty mobility scooters have an extended saddle seat with a 2 rider capacity. As great motorized scooter for adults, they also are equipped with an anti-theft alarm system and these heavy duty mobility scooters have an remote on/off key fob.
Click here for more information on the eWheels EW-11 Sport 2 Seater Mobility Scooter, 3 Wheel
Best 4 Wheel Mobility Scooters
Mobility scooters price starting at $874
- 4 wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Maximum Speed: 4.25 mph
- Battery: Includes quick connect 12ah battery and charger
- Distance: up to 9 miles
- Seat Width: 16.5 inches
The Drive Medical Scout transportable scooter is easy to assemble and has a colorful, customizable exterior.
These handicap scooters are compact, lightweight at 94lbs, and ideal for daily use and travel. It is easy to disassemble, into five manageable pieces.
The four-wheel Scout motorized scooter is stable on rougher outdoor terrain. The battery is technologically advanced and has a quick-connect battery pack.
The mobility scooter has a delta-shaped steering handle to make it easier to operate. This scooter has interchangeable color panels, in both blue and red, and is also a protective layer against potential scratches and scuffs.
The scooter also has flat free tires and a convenient free-wheel release knob.
Click here for more information on the Drive Medical SFSCOUT4 Spitfire Scout 4 Compact Travel Scooter, 4-Wheel, Red/Blue
Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter – Electric Powered Wheelchair Device – Compact Heavy Duty Mobile for Travel, Adults, Elderly – Long Range Power Extended Battery with Charger and Basket Included
Mobility scooters price starting at $899
- Four-wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 265 pounds
- Maximum Speed: 3.7 mph
- Battery: up to 12.4 miles per charge.
- Seat Width: 15.75 inches
This 4 wheel handicap scooter is easy to transport because you can quickly disassemble it in four separate pieces. The heaviest section of the four pieces is the rear section which weighs 29 pounds. Easily maneuver over smooth, indoor, and outdoor surfaces.
The electric handicap scooter has a comfortably padded wide 15.75″ seat and backrest to provide gentle cushioning and support. You can rotate the seat and adjust the height for a customizable fit.
This 4 wheel electric scooter also has two padded armrests that adjust and flip upward for convenience when boarding or exiting.
The control panel allows one to set a maximum speed, change from a forward to a reverse direction, turn on the headlight, and produce a warning tone.
The 4 wheel electric scooter display also has a color-coded battery life indicator so you can check the status of the battery quickly. The mobility scooter also has 8″ flat-free, non-marking tires.
Click here for more information on the Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter – Long Range Power Extended Battery with Charger and Basket Included
Mobility Scooters Price Starting at $1349
- 4 wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
- Maximum Speed: 4 MPH
- Battery: 2 – 12V 20AH, charger Offboard, 1.5A
- Distance: up to 15 miles per charge
- Seat Width: 20″
This popular electric medical scooter is an easy transportable scooter option that’s great for outdoor use and this plus size mobility scooter has a 350 lb weight capacity.
The Phoenix HD4 is not only a great outdoor electric scooter but it’s easy to disassembler so you can take it on the go.
Operating the handicap scooter is easy with an ergonomic ‘finger-pull’ throttle, it includes flat-free tires and has a headlight for enhanced safety.
The comfortable stadium style seat is adjustable for height.
Click here for more information on the Phoenix heavy duty power scooter, 4 wheel.
Mobility scooters price starting at $1685
- 4 Wheel Heavy Duty medical scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 330 pounds
- Maximum Speed: 5 mph
- Battery: long range – up to 18 miles per charge.
- Seat Width: 18-Inch seat
This BuzzAround Extreme electric scooter features the portability and easy disassembly of a lightweight medical scooter but has the benefits of a full-size scooter.
The BuzzAround Extreme mobility scooters come standard with 2U1 batteries – for a travel range that goes up to 18 miles.
The Extreme motorized scooter also features an ultrabright LED headlight and taillight, large 9″ tires, and comfort suspension springs for the smoothest ride.
The scooter is full size but portable because it is easy to disassemble.
There is also a charging port conveniently located below the control panel.
Click here for more information on the BUZZAROUND EX Extreme 4-Wheel Heavy Duty Long Range Travel Scooter
Mobility scooters price starting at $3599
- 4 wheel mobility scooter
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 500 pounds
- Maximum Speed: 15 mph
- Battery: (5) Sealed Lead Acid Maintenance Free, 60-volt Smart Charger included
- Distance: Very long – up to 43 miles per charge
- Seat: 22 1/2″x17 1/2″x23″ (LxWxH)
- Plus size mobility scooter with stereo Digital 60 volt
This EW-52 Buggie electric riding scooter has a designer style elegance along with it’s strong performance.
These trendy mobility scooters have a powerful four wheel and these handicap scooters have a 15 mph max speed and 45 mile range.
This plus size mobility scooter has a 500 lb weight capacity and locking cargo Box. These heavy duty mobility scooters come equipped with a 3 speaker stereo system.
Additionally, this heavy duty electric mobility scooter has remote key fop, digital dash, cruise control, and alarm system.
This power senior medical scooter has it all! In addition, this heavy duty electric mobility scooter is Shipped Fully Assembled.
Click here for more information on the eWheels EW-52 Buggie Mobility Scooter, 4 Wheel
How to Choose the Best Mobility Scooter for You
Comparing the Best 3 Wheel Mobility Scooters
If you’re looking for the
Cheapest 3 wheel mobility scooter
- Pride’s 3 Wheel Travel Pro handicap scooter that is easy to maneuver, can travel up to 4 MPH with a battery range of 6.3 miles and weight capacity of 275 lbs. Price $729
Cheapest lightweight electric scooter
- Vive 3 Wheel folding mobility scooter that weighs only 77 lbs., can travel up to 3.7 MPH with a battery range up to 12.4 miles per charge and a weight capacity of 265 lbs. Price $799
Best lightweight electric scooter
- The WE-20 3 Wheel handicap scooter only weighs 83 lbs and can travel high speed up to 15 MPH and long range, up to 21 miles per charge. The weight capacity is 300 lbs. Price $1499.00
Best 2 seater mobility scooter:
- The eWheels EW-11 Sport handicap scooter can travel up to 18 MPH and very long range, up to 40 miles on a single battery charge. The weight capacity is 400 lbs. Price: $2500
Comparing the Best 4 Wheel Mobility Scooters
If you’re looking for the
Cheapest 4 wheel travel scooter
- Spitfire Scout 4 wheel wheel compact travel scooter is lightweight at 94 lbs, travels up to 4.25 MPH and up to 9 miles per charge. The weight capacity is 300 lbs. Price $874.
- Vive Scout compact 4 wheel travel scooter can travel up to 3.7 MPH and up to 12.4 miles per charge. The weight capacity is 265 lbs. Price $899.
Best travel 4 wheel mobility scooter with higher weight capacity and longer battery life
- Phoenix heavy duty 4 wheel power scooter can travel up to 4 MPH and up to 15 miles per battery charge. Weight capacity is 350 lbs. Price $1349.
- Buzzaround EX 4 wheel heavy duty scooter can travel up to 5 MPH and up to 18 miles per charge. Weight capacity is 330 lbs. Price $1685.
Best heavy duty mobility scooter
- eWheels EW-52 Buggie handicap scooter is a 4 wheeler that can travel up to 15 MPH and a very long distance of 43 miles per battery charge. Weight capacity is 500 lbs. Price $3599.
You may also be interested in reading our blog posts:
Electric mobility scooters can be a life-changer for those who have difficulty walking; it gives seniors or those with limited mobility independence and the ability to get around. There are many types of electric handicap scooters. When looking at handicap scooters, finding which is right for you depends on your needs. Three wheel scooters usually can turn or fit in tighter space but may tip easier, something to consider when looking for the elderly. Four wheel scooters are generally sturdier with more legroom. Each of the different handicap scooters have different maximum weight capacities, has differing speed ranges, and has different battery life.